The Windows 8 Store


You can write a Windows RT project in either the C++, C#, Visual BASIC, or JavaScript programming languages. Yeah. There are a lot of options. Initially I leaned toward JavaScript since I learned it recently. However I fell back onto C++ when I actually wrote my apps.

Windows 8 Apps are sold in the Windows 8 Store. You use Visual Studio to upload your app package to the store. The package file has an appx extension. It needs a manifest. The appx file is really just a zip (compressed) file.

When you start out, you should reserve your app name in the Windows Store. The app will then get licensed to the user when they purchase it through the Windows 8 Store. Kind of reminds you of the Apple store for apps, right? Microsoft is coming a bit late to the game. Let's hope they can catch up.